Dear friends

I am very sad to announce that the choccie boy kitten died early this morning, Saturday 25 September aged 4 weeks and 2 days. Without a postmortem on him I don't know the cause, but from the symptoms I suspect pneumonia. To think that 24 hours ago he was eating and playing... he was in my arms snug and warm at his moment of crossing the Rainbow Bridge. Prayers please for this little life that had such a big impact in so short a time.



The kittens bid for freedom!

Hello everyone...

well the kittens are 4 weeks old today. Yesterday when I got home and let Sassy out of the kitten pen, four of the kittens climbed out after her! They are now well into the exploratory phase and I will also be starting to wean them at the weekend.

The littlest girl continues to put on weight, slowly but surely, although she is still only half the weight of her bigger sisters at just under 200gm. I have high hopes that she will break that 200 gm barrier this week. She is quite capable of sticking up for herself and I am beginning to feel more optimistic that she will make it.

They are also beginning to discover toys, and especially a climbing / tunnel thingy that I have had for several years and which always attracts the youngsters! Here's a photo of one of the brown girls playing peek-a-boo ....

Teddy continues to be slightly wary of them and isn't really sure what he should so when they approach him. It's so funny to watch the young tearaway being terrorised by something so small in comparison! :-)

More soon...


Kitten update

The kittens are now 2.5 weeks old.

The one who had the tummy abcess is fully recovered and they are all putting weight on.I stillhave some concern over the weeniest girl; although she is very feisty she hasn't been putting as much weight on as I would like. But she is still fighting and I'm making sure she gets her fair share of the milk bar.

Last week Sassy decided to give her kittens a tour. First of all she decided they needed to sleep somewhere different and as she was in the kitten pen, the only option was the litter tray. Luckily it was clean.... I came in from work to find them all in a very cold and lumpy bed!

Later that evening she took them on a tour of the house, carrying a few around for a sight-see! One ended up under the bed, but I soon brought her down again. Sassy seems to have got the travel bug out of her system now and the babies have stayed put in the pen ever since.

Pickle is his usual calm self and is happy to snuggle with the kittens. Here's a photo of him babysitting....

Teddy however is still a little scared :-)
More updates soon!

Kitten emergency...

Well today has been rather a dramatic day. The small brown girl - and it is confirmed, there are 6 girls and one boy - developed an abcess around the umbilical cord site. It was a quick dash over to the vets, where Gerard kindly saw us just before his formal consulting hours began. The abcess was lanced and was very infected. The kitten then received an antibiotic injection, and I have antibiotic drops to give her - literally one drop night and morning. We are hoping that the infection does not spread to the liver as that would mean there is nothing more that could be done for her. Hopefully we have caught it quickly enough.

I am under instructions to bathe the site regularly with warm salt water and squeeze the wound to ensure that all the infection is out (yuck!) But at least I'm at home for a few days and can keep an eye on it all.

All the rest are fine though!

What a big world!

How exciting - one of the chocolate kittens has opened it's eyes today! That's very early - only 6 days old... would usually expect it from around a week to ten days.

They are all doing very well and putting on weight steadily, even the very weeny one is progressing nicely. Sassy is very attentive and barely gets out of the kitten pen all day even though I leave it open for her to come and go. She will get out to stretch her legs first thing in the morning and a couple of times during the day but otherwise she stays with them the whole time.

Teddy is quite funny - he is a little scared of these new little playthings, especially when they squeak, but I expect he will be happy to play with them when they are a bit older. Pickle is totally uninterested but I expect him to be his normal loving self when they start wobbling around.

More soon....


That's right - the class of 2010 has arrived! Sassy decided she couldn't wait any longer so at about 4am this morning she decided to have her babies. I've been in Budapest for work this week - she started about 12 hours before I got home. Luckily she was staying with Rosie and I can't say a big enough thank you to Rosie who was up with Sassy at that time and saw her through the whole thing.

Not too sure what we have at the moment but there's a potential of 5 brown girls, a choc boy and a choc girl. But we're still working that all out!

So far, mother and kittens are doing well. Will start posting photos and weights soon - and videos once they start being interesting :-)

Keep checking for updates.... and in the meanwhile here's one of the first photos!

love from Gill and Sassy!

Sassy is 5!

Today is Sassy's birthday. She's been very restless all day - not sure if that is a consequence of having a birthday or just feeling uncomfortable because she is so pregnant! I was quite worried earlier on as she seemed to be looking for a nesting spot - kittens aren't due for another 20 days or so! I brought her kitten pen in from the shed and gave it a good clean-up, and put an igloo-style bed in there for her to snuggle into. At the moment she is sleeping with Pickle and Teddy up on my bed, which is a real treat for them all!

Anyway, very shortly I'll get out some sardines, which she seems to love - as does Pickle - and they can be her birthday dinner treat; Teddy can have tuna as he doesn't seem to like sardines LOL! Sassy is certainly enjoying her food at the moment and within reason I'm trying to give her as much as she wants as she is clearly eating for several... on previous occasions I've thought she might only have 3 or 4 kittens as she's usually quite small - then she goes on to have 6 or 7 - but this time she has truly blossomed so I have no idea how many she might have. Probably 3 or 4 very large ones - which isn't as good as it sounds because she is a tiny little cat and might have problems. So 6 or 7 smallish kitts would be ideal!

More soon....

Farewell to Sharni

Dear friends
many of you will know by now that my gorgeous little chocolate girl Sharni was put to sleep on Tuesday 6 July to save her from further suffering from kidney failure. Unlike with Suki, he disease took Sharni very quickly as she had only gone for her annual check-up at the start of June. She's very much missed around the house.
There's a tribute to her on her web page.

However on a happier note - and possibly a premature one! - Sassy is looking very "pink" today! So with luck she is pregnant and will be having kittens at the end of August... fingers crossed and I will keep you all updated!


Sassy's home - again...

... and let's hope this time she did the job properly LOL! Collected her fom her second honeymoon this morning and she's settled back in quite happily. She went to the same boy, the blue Burmese called Prince owned by Rosie and Barrie. You can see him on their website, via the Links page. This time, if she's pregnant, kittens are due around the August Bank Holiday weekend. Fingers crossed!

On th downside, Sharni has taken a bit of a tumble from her renal failure. She had a day or so of rejecting everything put in front of her and her weight fell by 100gm. She's now lost 200gm in 4 weeks. We went to the vet this morning just before collecting Sassy, and she's had a steroid injection and is on an antihistamine - the same one claimed as a miracle drug by my friend Suzanne in Florida - which as done wonders for her cat Chloe apparently. So I hope it will kick in for Sharni too. Poor little soul has also had a touch of cystitis for the past couple of days so she had an anti-inflammatory for that as well. She probably felt a bit like a pin-cushion...!

More kitten updates as they become obvious... I hope!

Remembering Looney

Well today is the Longest Day of the year, June 21st. It was on this day in 2004 that I had to let my gorgeous Bengal boy be euthanised to prevent him suffering further from cancer, aged just 8.

Many people reading this will probably never have met Looney. He was a brown spotted Bengal, called Looney because of his habit as a kitten of sitting on the head of a decorator who was doing some work for my dear friends Rosie and Barrie. Looney was a rescue kitten and looking for a home. I fell in love with him and they allowed me to adopt him and bring him home. From the start, his alternative name was Tigger. He bounced everywhere and on everything and everybody. He loved cuddles, he loved to play and he most especially loved the helium-filled balloons which in those days Suki managed to win at shows fairly frequently. He is still sadly missed in the house.

Looney also loved kittens and that's where we move to the next update. Sassy had a false pregnancy this time around, and sadly we won't be hearing the patter of little paws anytime soon. However she has had a check-up at the vet, and he pronounced her to be in excellent health and we have no reason not to try again next time she calls. As it looks like she is beginning to do so at the moment, hopefully she'll be going back to stud with Prince in the next few days - once I've checked the calendar to ensure that the birth won't co-incide with my next work trip to Hungary!

As for the rest of the Gang - Pickle is his normal adorable self, loving to cuddle up and still enjoying life at 16 and a half. Sharni - at just over 15 - has got very thin and is now on tablets for renal failure. However she doesn't seem to be in any pain, and got through her annual checkup without too many problems, although the extent of her world has shrunk to the lounge, kitchen and replacement extension (which is very nice). She is also very fussy about her food and getting her to eat almost anything is a cause for celebration most days. Teddy is trying to be as bouncy as Looney but has realised that unless he is very lucky I am now locking the bedroom doors so he can't do his trick of letting himself in :-)

More updates soon...
See Older Posts...